In the modern day, technology is interwoven in everything that we do. For the generations that grew up alongside the development of our modern technology, most of this knowledge comes as second nature. But if you’re one of the few who don’t already have that base of knowledge, and want to learn, it can seem overwhelming to figure out where to begin.
While it may seem like a daunting task, you should also know that technology isn’t necessarily a complicated topic. Much of technology is easier to grasp through shared metaphors and guided observations of the outside world. Tech is undoubtedly a booming industry, making it useful to at least comprehend the basics. In fact, writers at the Harvard Business Review published a compelling article that actually declared data science to be the sexiest job of the 21st century!
The truth is that Technology is constantly evolving, and it can be hard to keep up. New innovations are emerging all the time, and it can be difficult to know which ones are worth investing in.
One of the most recent technological developments is automation. Automation is the use of machines to perform tasks that were previously done by humans. This can be a great way to save time and money, but it can also lead to job losses.
In this post, we’ll discuss the pros and cons of automation, and we’ll offer some tips for keeping up with the latest technological trends.
Here are some of the pros of automation:
- Automation can save time and money. Machines can perform tasks more quickly and efficiently than humans, which can lead to cost savings.
- Automation can improve accuracy. Machines are less likely to make mistakes than humans, which can lead to improved quality control.
- Automation can improve safety. Machines can be programmed to perform tasks in a safe and controlled environment, which can help to prevent accidents.
Here are some of the cons of automation:
- Automation can lead to job losses. As machines become more sophisticated, they are able to perform more tasks that were previously done by humans. This can lead to job losses, as companies are able to produce the same amount of output with fewer employees.
- Automation can lead to social isolation. As people spend more time interacting with machines, they may have less time to interact with other people. This can lead to social isolation and loneliness.
- Automation can lead to a loss of control. As machines become more powerful, they may be able to make decisions that were previously made by humans. This can lead to a loss of control over our lives.
Here are some tips for keeping up with the latest technological trends:
- Stay informed. Read industry publications and attend conferences to stay up-to-date on the latest technological trends.
- Invest in training. Take courses or workshops to learn new skills and stay ahead of the curve.
- Be open to change. Change can be scary, but it’s important to be open to new ideas and technologies.
- Be creative. Don’t be afraid to use technology in new and innovative ways.
Technology is constantly changing, and it can be difficult to keep up. But by staying informed, investing in training, and being open to change, you can ensure that you’re prepared for the future.
The “Rule of Three”
To begin acquiring a standard base of knowledge, you might consider exploring three separate and unrelated topics for variety, or investigate a series of increasingly intertwined topics. An example of the former could be investigating technologies that address global climate change, space exploration, and population growth. These are all topics that are relevant to the majority of people, meaning you’ll have a healthy base of information to start a conversation and learn about other perspectives. On the other hand, you could thoroughly investigate one particular topic, such as the implications of big data, automation, and artificial intelligence. The appeal of taking the latter approach stems from being able to slowly increase your knowledge about other topics after becoming an expert in one.
The Importance of Data
Prior to learning about any additional tech topics, it’s important to understand the significance of data networks. Big data holds vast promise in a world with increasingly ubiquitous internet access and interconnected devices. More and more activities are finding their way online through digitized products and services. Tapping into the flow of user-generated data to make more informed decisions makes intuitive sense, and is vastly superior to the ad hoc approach that guides many businesses and other organizations. Emerging brands encourage businesses of all types to do exactly that: make data-driven decisions to produce better outcomes on a regular basis.
Automation takes that solution to the next level. If the promise of big data is enabling better human decision-making, then the promise of automation is eliminating the human element from the equation. This is especially important for mission-critical systems at scale, which can often be prone to human error. But make no mistake: automation will impact systems and industries far and wide. Some find the idea or partial or full automation across certain aspects of life extremely troubling.
Those same people are unlikely to favor artificial intelligence (AI), but the promise it holds would fully realize the potential of the first two: big data and automation. There’s a lot that people stand to gain from AI when it comes to daily life. The promise of AI effectively replaces all human decision-making with perfect data-driven insights only achieved through relentless self-directed computational progression. That’s when you begin to wander into ethical territory, because it’s likely that we humans will be the direct benefactors or victims of any decisions made by an AI.
Choosing relevant topics like these will allow you to build a solid foundation of information and knowledge, which will enable you to branch out to learn even more about tech. It’s useful to be able to draw from a wide variety of real-world examples, because much of what you learn will come from other people who are knowledgeable about tech and data. By learning about their different perspectives, and their reasoning for these opinions, you’ll understand various standpoints that can guide you towards additional research.