The online gaming industry has been steadily growing over the last few years, driven predominantly by improvements in technology, improvements in connectivity and affordability of devices, primarily of the mobile variety. There has been continued growth in the realm of mobile and online video games, as well as growth in online casinos.
- Experts state that the video game industry is worth upwards of US$60 billion in the US in 2020 alone.
- More and more people are playing games in their spare time, not just traditional gamers, usual young males who invest time and money into their games, playing with friends and through to completion. There has been an increase in the casual gamer, interested in instant rewards, flashy lights and plenty of music and sounds to stay engaged, and the hyper-casual gamer, looking for a tap to play game; games where they can hop in and out, tap a few times, get some gratification and then hop out.
- There were an estimated 2 billion unique players in 2015, a figure that is expected to grow to 3 billion by 2023.
- The demographic of those playing has changed; no longer dominated by young male gamers, both younger and older players, as well as more females have joined the ranks.
- Revenue generated by online casinos in the UK from April 2018 to March 2019 was in excess of £5 billion (US$7), and worldwide this figure is expected to exceed US$90 billion by 2023.
- It is estimated that there has been a 25% increase in the number of people playing online slots, due in part to their ease of play, flashy lights, and low barriers to entry. The fact that no skill is required is also attractive, particularly to novice players, and wagers can be just pennies.
- Online casinos have leveraged technology to compete with bricks and mortar casinos, recreating the look at feel of a real casino, with lights and sounds, and an engaging and exciting atmosphere, that players can access from the comfort of their own home.
- The prospect of using skill to win at card games and earn real world money is also an appealing factor to many online gamblers.
888 Live Casinos
One of the most popular online casinos is 888 live casino which has used all the technological advances and changing player habits to its advantage to attract new players and keep gamblers coming back for more. There is, quite literally, something for everyone. From traditional casino games like blackjack and poker, to roulette and slots, as well as live dealer games and games-show inspired offerings, players can bet big and win gig, or, for the new players, there are welcome bonuses and low stales tables to ease them in. For the more prolific player, there is a VIP club that offer exclusive promotions and rewards.
Similarities between Video Games and Online Casinos
The advent of the smart phone has heavily influenced developers, as many games are optimised for tablets and mobiles; by 2021 it is estimated that mobile gaming will be at almost 60% of the market share. As players want to be able to play the game they want, when they want, developers have increasingly developed games, including gambling, for mobile devices.
- Social Aspect
Chat rooms: Both video games and online casinos use online chat rooms and live chat for people to be able to play together. This social aspect is for many an important reason to log on; not just the game itself.
Live games and multiplayer modes: Although both video games and online gambling can be a lone activity, and there are times when this is ideal, both offer the opportunity to play with others. In video games, players can play competitive and cooperative games, and (in particular with) MMOs and MMORPGs, players will often make life-long friends, join guilds and quest together for years. In a casino, gamblers can join live games, and play with real people, rather than against a computer, making the experience more exciting and engaging.
Both industries are using new Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality technology to make their offerings more engaging; video games primarily to compete amongst themselves, online casinos to continue to differentiate themselves from traditional bricks and mortar casinos. Whilst currently the use of VR and AU is more prolific in the world of video games, online casinos are beginning to adopt this technology to create a better player experience.
Competition in the online world of gaming and gambling competition is tough, and developers need to use knowledge of changing player habits, technological advancements and targeted marketing to ensure they remain competitive and can survive and flourish in the industry.